Recruitment and Retention
Medical Director - Queen Elizabeth Hospital Charlottetown
Medical Director, Queen Elizabeth Hospital – 1.0 FTE - EFFECTIVE APRIL 1, 2017
Health PEI is seeking a physician leader to assume the position of Medical Director at its’ largest multi-service acute care facility, the Queen Elizabeth Hospital (QEH) located in Charlottetown, PEI. The Medical Director QEH will provide medical leadership and expertise to the Medical Staff of QEH, and work collaboratively with others in the Health PEI leadership structure. The Medical Director QEH is expected to develop and demonstrate the capabilities of a leader as defined in the “LEADS” capability framework; Leads Self, Engage Others, Achieve Results, Develop Coalitions and Systems Transformation.
The Medical Director is a critical member of Health PEI and the QEH management team, reporting directly to the Chief of Emergency Health Services, Long Term Care and Hospital Services East, with matrix reporting to the Chief Administrative Officer of Emergency Health Services, Long Term Care and Hospital Services East, Chief Mental Health and Addictions Services, and Chief Administrative Officer of Mental Health and Addictions Services.
Queen Elizabeth Hospital is PEI’s largest with 243 beds and is located in the province’s capital city, Charlottetown. It provides both community services and specialized provincial services, and supports both in-patient and outpatient care. It employs 2000 staff and has a Medical Staff of 197. It includes a new Emergency Department, Ambulatory Care Centre (both complete) and a Perioperative Suite.
QUALIFICATIONS (education, experience, knowledge):
- License (or eligibility for same) to practice medicine in Prince Edward Island.
- CCFP certification or RCPSC fellowship is preferred
- Experience in medical administration and additional training in physician management (CCPE certification, PMI or similar courses) or equivalent management education.
- A broad understanding of health care, involvement in acute care and managing the complex issues in the continuum of care.
- Broad knowledge, background and interest and experience in clinical practice and use of best practice guidelines.
- Experience in management of quality initiatives using principles of quality management and implementing change.
- Working knowledge of Health PEI Medical Staff ByLaws and Master Agreement between the Medical Society of PEI, Government of PEI and Health PEI.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
The successful candidate, a well respected clinician and medical leader, will possess excellent communication and organizational skills, will be effective at engaging physicians, leading change and innovation. A collaborative, participatory leadership style is essential. This position will assist Health PEI to accomplish its goals and objectives and will ensure effective policy improvement, human resource management, and quality monitoring and improvement.
This position is a full time 1.0 FTE. Position Description
Please submit CV and cover letter to:
Physician Recruitment Coordinator
Department of Health and Wellness
P.O. Box 2000
Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8
Phone: (902) 368-6302